1.30.2009


Here's a funny story for you guys. I went to the grocery store with Jared and Wylee this morning for the first time. I have taken Wylee but I left Jared with my parents and that was hard enough. Anyways....she started crying like 10 minutes in (of course) and like 15 people wanted to stop me so they could look at her and about 13 of them asked me if she was hungry....I said "no I just fed her she just doesn't want to be here"....one woman asked me if i forgot to burp her (gee maybe I did forget to burp her!! wow I'm just so new at this whole "mom" thing! I'm so glad she was there to remind me that a baby needs to burp after it eats).....another woman asked me if i watch Oprah and I said "no mam I do not" and she went on to tell me how one time she did a show about a woman who had such great ears that she could tell what each different baby cry meant and how she used to have it on vhs but she doesn't know where she put it and I said "oh thats nice" and then she asked me if I knew how to use the internet and I said "oh yeah sorta" so she told me I could probably find it online.Gee what a novel idea lady. Lucky me, I ran into this woman yet again in the produce aisle with Wylee still screaming and she asked me if she could walk behind me and hold her while I shop. Are you serious? I said "no, i just need to hurry up and finish so that I can leave". So I finally got done, paid, and had all the bags in the cart and my huge cart got stuck at the cash register and wouldn't budge so I was pulling on it so hard to get it free and like 5 people gathered around to ask me if Wylee was hungry or maybe it was cholic or maybe she was sad. My butt was litterally on the ground I was pulling so hard I was like freaking out. I almost lost it at the store. And then the very moment that I put her in the car she stopped crying. Nice. Real nice.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you. I hate taking a new baby to the store. People are just so incredibly stupid. But you all made it home in one piece. And it seems like you managed to maintain your sense of humor. So you win!
Elaine: 1 Kids & Store: 0

Ruth said...

i feel your pain--sometimes people think they are helping only not realizing they are compounding the problem. but as usual you are lots nicer than me to some of those people. i also love it when the baby is sleeping peacefully and some lovely person wakes them up and then they start screaming the rest of the time.

Rebekah said...

Next time, just tell them she doesn't like strangers. Say it without any trace of a smile, and they'll leave you alone.

Unknown said...

In one of our many trips to the store that included a screaming child, a woman standing next to us was glaring at us making horrifying faces of disgust each time my little one let out a yelp. Annoyed at how obvious she was trying to make known her disapproval of my child's fit, I gave my little one a sweet hug (although I really wanted to strangle him) and said "I'm sorry that ugly lady is scaring you sweetheart".